Which Version of Eien no Aselia Do I Need?

Discuss the translation of Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate de.
Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Re: FAQ

Post by Phlebas » Mon May 18, 2009 10:02 am

ronn990 wrote:IS EIEN NO ASELIA GAME IS FREE?
No.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

X-Calibar

Post by X-Calibar » Sat May 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Phlebas wrote:
ronn990 wrote:IS EIEN NO ASELIA GAME IS FREE?
No.
Darn. And here, I had hoped dakkodango was supplying its loyal fans with pre-purchased Special Packages!

Question,
which opening movie comes with the Eien no Aselia -kono daichi no hate de- PC port?
This one? (the original PC version?)
Or this one? (the PS2 version)
If it comes with the PC version one... is it possible to replace it with the PS2 version easily? [or does this game use an encoded/compressed proprietary file? or other difficulty...]

EDIT: Oh, and will you be translating the OP as previously done with Tears to Tiara?

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Sun May 24, 2009 3:41 am

X-Calibar wrote: Question,
which opening movie comes with the Eien no Aselia -kono daichi no hate de- PC port?
This one? (the original PC version?)
Or this one? (the PS2 version)
If it comes with the PC version one... is it possible to replace it with the PS2 version easily? [or does this game use an encoded/compressed proprietary file? or other difficulty...]

EDIT: Oh, and will you be translating the OP as previously done with Tears to Tiara?
For this or that reason it comes with the PC one; shouldn't be technically any problems replacing it and cheese already has the PS2 op video. I'd also prefer changing it as I think the PS2 one is well awesome. As for subbing the OP, that'd be nice if we get a volunteer to do it at some point.

Sillarra

Post by Sillarra » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Question...

Is this game supported in Windows Vista (or the upcoming Windows 7)?

I visited the official website and at the specs they mentioned:

対応OS  日本語Windows2000Prof/Xp(WindowsVistaおよび各64bit版は未対応)WindowsXp Media Center Edition、Tablet Editionはサポート対象外)

My Japanese is almost nonexistent and crude translations from Babel Fish hinted that the game might not be playable in Vista. If that is true, will the English patch that you're working on be able to address this?
"The Hidden Goddess will be with me."
"And isn't that alone?"
~The Eye of Night~

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm running it on Vista 64 bit, no worries there. The unpatched version doesn't work on pretty much any computer, though, but you won't need to worry about that, the English patch should have the latest game patch built in as well.

Sillarra

Post by Sillarra » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Oh, good!

And I know it's too early to ask this but...will you be translating the Sei Naru Kana ~The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2~ too after you've finished with Eien no Aselia?
"The Hidden Goddess will be with me."
"And isn't that alone?"
~The Eye of Night~

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:59 pm

It's simply too early to ask :D Who knows what will happen. Try again when we finish, I guess.

X-Calibar

Post by X-Calibar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:58 am

How long is this game? and if you ignore the battles?

Has someone reviewed this game? If not, can you non-spoiler review it?
It’s a tactical RPG by Xuse that follows the story of Takamine Yuuto, who is transported to a war-torn parallel world and forced to fight using the power of a sacred sword. The game features 7 different routes and 3 difficulty levels that can be unlocked after multiple playthroughs. Save data can be carried over from one playthrough to the next. The game contains no adult content, and is suitable for ages 12 and above.
Is the game aimed at a younger audience? Heavy themes? Light themes?

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:46 pm

I don't know about reviews, haven't read any in English though they might exist. It's thematically quite heavy though not brooding (and sometimes in fact very funny), definitely not aimed at younger audience imo, but 'is suitable for ages 12 and above', meaning there isn't anything too explicit - but should be noted that the changes from 18+ version are very consistent and in my opinion the story makes more sense with them. [We've had some good discussions about them, and I can explain them in more detail in pm or something if you wish for more info].
Here's my own very short, completely subjective spoiler-free review, probably not very helpful (and to a degree incomplete because I played the game first in japanese without full understanding of the story, which is at the moment 25% translated, so the script quality-related evaluations are mostly based on those 25%):

You can't really "ignore" battles, they're hard all right. But if or when you get tired of them you just need to level characters once on hard or superhard difficulty and then replaying on normal difficulty will allow you to speed thru the game with hardly any opposition.

Themes: War, fantasy, drama, romance(to a smaller degree, really), tea.
Playtime: Likely upwards of 100 hours to clear all routes and difficulties, unless you go where the fence is lowest. Note: a lot of new content is unlocked on consecutive playthroughs.
Gameplay: 10-. Definitely one of the best SRPGs I've ever played on any platform. Awesome strategic combat with a high difficulty all around, and one massive military campaign. Great replay value with pervasive characters in new game+ and 3 difficulty levels that allow you to level your characters higher and higher. 0 luck whatsoever involved in the whole game. A few minor inconveniences.
Setting: 10. A deep and rich world with its own language and a complex background story, much of which is revealed to player through your own efforts in reading profiles and descriptions etc.
Story: 9½. Well-written, interesting and emotion-raising.
Characters: 9: All heroines' routes aren't equal (length-wise, especially), but I can't pick apart any one character as my favourite, nor any that I'm not interested in. As for other characters, some subspirits are very fun and a few characters you really will hate, like you're intended to. Protagonist doesn't really excel, but at least he's not useless; he has morals and is trying to think for himself and do his best under the bizarre circumstances. Large cast.
Art: 7½. Sure to divide opinions a lot, and hard to grade. The artwork is inconsistent in quality and style is pretty 'unique'. You'll love it or like it or hate it.
Sound: 7½. The voices are recorded at different phases of the production and especially some of the audio from the old standard version is notably weaker quality than the newer additions. Pretty good voice actors with a few more unique voices (and Wakamoto voicing 2 roles) but a lot of unknown names who do their job well enough but don't really stand out.

X-Calibar

Post by X-Calibar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up ~
Maybe I'll get this after all! :mrgreen: