Damage, debuffs, and how much they do.

Discuss the translation of Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate de.
UnlimitedBlades

Damage, debuffs, and how much they do.

Post by UnlimitedBlades » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:19 am

I have a few questions about the battle system and some specific skills.
First, are elemental skills that lower elements supposed to do more damage on the second hit? For example, Uruka's Starfire sword lower defense and all elements, while having black element herself. Logically wouldn't this mean that the second action would do more damage, since the first action lowered some defense and black element, and the 3rd action deals even more damage? Or do the debuffs not work that way? When I use these kinds of skills I notice that they just do the same damage regardless of all the debuffs they have.

Another thing I'd like to know is if there's any way to calculate how much something raises or lowers an attribute by. For example Holy raises attack/def/resist, but there's no way to tell how much. I know that red arrows mean more change then blue ones, but is there a guide to that? For example, red arrow=50% change or more.

Volandum

Re: Damage, debuffs, and how much they do.

Post by Volandum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:40 pm

I don't think they are meant to, no. Starfire Sword hits supporter, right? The def down does nothing because you always critical against supporter anyway.

You have formulae, so I guess if you really want to you can have a go yourself. Eating physical moves on a defender (Aselia is a good defender, as she has lots of HP and can take a lot of punishment, but her block moves aren't so powerful that they'll negate all incoming damage) will let you test the def bonus, letting your attacker critical hit people with something granting no attack bonus lets you test the attack bonus, and resistance is a bit harder, you probably want to use Heaven's Sword to work out what the elemental penalty is, and then take Ignition to compute the resistance boost.

UnlimitedBlades

Post by UnlimitedBlades » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:50 am

Hmm wait a second, when skills modify elements, does that only apply for attack? For example, if a fire element attack lowered an enemy's red element, would they take more damage from red element attacks, or will their own red red element attacks lower in effectiveness? If elemental debuffs only effect attack, that would explain why skills that lower elements don't do more damage on the second hit.

Ugh something might be wrong with my game? I tried testing the damage of Aselia's Heaven's Sword V against an enemy attacker. First I hit it normally, but then I tried using Uruka's lower resist and her iron maiden moves, but neither made her damage go up. Shouldn't lower resistance mean more blue element dmg? I also tried using Nelie's Silent Field II to buff Himika's attack, but it didn't have any effect (Himika was targeting the supporter btw). Do things like lower resist and increasing attack only work on the enemy defender?

Volandum

Post by Volandum » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 am

I'd need to check the formulae in the manual... yes, elements only come into play for Attack, though you'll note in the FAQ thread that I noticed that Elemental decreases incoming elemental magic damage for some reason.

If you're attacking an attacker you'll critical, so the def and res (which are multipliers for block power) don't come into play. Remember the formulae, where def and res help you compute blocked damage. Attackers can't block (unless allrounder) so it doesn't matter. Silent Field II SHOULD improve Himika's attack power considerably, like it would Selia's Heaven's Sword (which in its final form is also R-elemental). It should even improve the power of moves like Ignition or Aura Photon Nova.

UnlimitedBlades

Post by UnlimitedBlades » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Ah, alright I figured that one out. The reason that Silent Field II and res/def lowering debuffs didn't work that specific time was because my attacker was already critical-ling, gah stupid me. And since Elemental modifiers only affect attack, that would explain why moves that lower the element they come equpied with don't do more dmg on the second hit, since it's only lowering the enemy's elemental attack power, not lowering their ability to block said element.

Eh when you said Silent Field II might raise the power of moves like Ignition/Aura Photon Nova, do you mean that if an enemy uses it first, or that the effects could last past the round? I was under the assumption that all debuffs/buffs only affected the round they were used in.

Volandum

Post by Volandum » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 am

If by round you mean one combat scene, yes effects only last in that scene. I mean if the enemy uses it. If the enemy's comboing with Heaven's Sword you should banish it, but if there's only a greenspirit Attacker in the enemy team you can take the opportunity to strike back with your own attacks, preferably blue.