Seinarukana translation project

Discuss the translation of Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate de.
World Tree

Re: Seinarukana translation project

Post by World Tree » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:18 am

Megaolix wrote:...The first game isn't even released yet. That mean our hope to play the translated game this year got bombed to nothingness...

Dammit Jast, stop stealing the hard work of others... Actually, did Dakkodango got paid for the translation of the first game?
There's that problem, too. Even if Renkosuke finished the translation by Winter or early 2012, we'd most likely have to wait until late 2012 or worst some time in 2013 for actual release.

JAST is collaborating with the current fan translation staff, which is the staff here, so it's not completely grim. I just hope my earlier concern about them changing or messing with the current translation as it is now won't come to past. I'm sure (they better) JAST will be paying for the EnA's translation and also payment for those who'll be helping them release Seinarukana since it's a contractual collaboration.

Levertand

Post by Levertand » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:24 am

I wonder if JAST licensing Seinarukana now is a good thing, especially since like what Megaolix said, that the first game has not been released yet. And what about those who had already bought the Special edition of Eien no Aselia? Does that mean that they have to buy the game AGAIN when they could have just gotten a translation patch by Dakkodango?

Staff of Dakkodango, I think we need some clarification and indication as to what is happening to the project as of now and its future?

lightl

Post by lightl » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:26 am

joy for double dipping again, :lol: my concern is one can only imagine when release date would be

Levertand

Post by Levertand » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:57 am

World Tree wrote:
Megaolix wrote:...The first game isn't even released yet. That mean our hope to play the translated game this year got bombed to nothingness...

Dammit Jast, stop stealing the hard work of others... Actually, did Dakkodango got paid for the translation of the first game?
There's that problem, too. Even if Renkosuke finished the translation by Winter or early 2012, we'd most likely have to wait until late 2012 or worst some time in 2013 for actual release.

JAST is collaborating with the current fan translation staff, which is the staff here, so it's not completely grim. I just hope my earlier concern about them changing or messing with the current translation as it is now won't come to past. I'm sure (they better) JAST will be paying for the EnA's translation and also payment for those who'll be helping them release Seinarukana since it's a contractual collaboration.
Just a question, how do you know that JAST is collaborating with Dakkodango? Apparently it is to be released by Peach Princess, and there is no indication that they will be using Dakkodango's translation for Seinarukana..
And assuming that they aren't using Dakkodango's translation, will the translation project continue?

Personally, I hope Dakkodango will continue on their project despite the licensing as I dislike localisation(Forced or otherwise), and unfortunately, most licensed games are localised to suit their potential buyers. Fan translations are able to (Or tries to) stay to the original "flavour" whereas localisation kills all of that.

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Levertand wrote: Just a question, how do you know that JAST is collaborating with Dakkodango? Apparently it is to be released by Peach Princess, and there is no indication that they will be using Dakkodango's translation for Seinarukana..
And assuming that they aren't using Dakkodango's translation, will the translation project continue?

Personally, I hope Dakkodango will continue on their project despite the licensing as I dislike localisation(Forced or otherwise), and unfortunately, most licensed games are localised to suit their potential buyers. Fan translations are able to (Or tries to) stay to the original "flavour" whereas localisation kills all of that.
http://www.jastusa.com/pre-ax-roundup-c ... ttractions

"Seinarukana is being produced in contractual collaboration with the group currently working on the project hosted at TLwiki." So yeah. No big shock there.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

Kainthedamned

Post by Kainthedamned » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Doesn't a licencing mean faster translation ? I mean, they are supposed to actualy pay at least a full-time person for it, no ? So long as they hire someone who knows how to write in proper english and do not try to butcher the japanese names to make it more westerner, I do not see the problem.

Why do everyone seem to believe it is going to lead to a nightmarish translation and very late release ? The games I bought from Peach Princess were not that bad. I mean english is my second langage, but I did not see obvious faults in them.

ova

Post by ova » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Kainthedamned wrote:Doesn't a licencing mean faster translation ? I mean, they are supposed to actualy pay at least a full-time person for it, no ?
the translating will be faster but the release date will be push back....why? because it's just that how it work consider making space between each game release and making the copy blah blah blah....
Kainthedamned wrote:So long as they hire someone who knows how to write in proper english and do not try to butcher the japanese names to make it more westerner, I do not see the problem.
Most of the time, localization will be more strict than fan translation...why? because it's the way to make the most money > larger audience
so it wouldn't be bad to already expect a more westernize localization instead of a disappointment later...
and it will not only involve naming, but also overall scripts (conversational will be more...trash if westernize)
Kainthedamned wrote:Why do everyone seem to believe it is going to lead to a nightmarish translation and very late release ? The games I bought from Peach Princess were not that bad. I mean english is my second langage, but I did not see obvious faults in them.
because most if not all of the projects go to hell that way, so unless somebody dig a new path to paradise, this belief can only remain...

Kainthedamned

Post by Kainthedamned » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:48 pm

OK, thanks for the answers. I still think they can pull a fairly good translation. A game like Cosplay Fetish Academy had an enjoyable translation, even if all the characters where called by their first names without regards to the differences in japanese (which is a stupid choice indeed, considering most of their audience, if not all, like mangas and would get and appreciate these differences). But if they keep it in a box, waiting for a void in their release or for the production of a useless CD, while we all would rather pay for a download, that would suck big time indeed.

Well, here is to hoping that I can play this game before the end of the year. I loved Aselia so much, and the sequel looks so good, it is depressing not being able to touch it. Nearly makes me want to take japanese lessons...

Levertand

Post by Levertand » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 am

Phlebas wrote:
Levertand wrote: Just a question, how do you know that JAST is collaborating with Dakkodango? Apparently it is to be released by Peach Princess, and there is no indication that they will be using Dakkodango's translation for Seinarukana..

http://www.jastusa.com/pre-ax-roundup-c ... ttractions

"Seinarukana is being produced in contractual collaboration with the group currently working on the project hosted at TLwiki." So yeah. No big shock there.
Thanks for the clarification :D , now I will hope that they wouldn't change the translation much.

Megaolix

Post by Megaolix » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:27 am

So, I would like to ask the staff: What's happening now? Anything you can tell us or are lips sealed by contract? I for one simply want to know how far back this will push the day we'll start playing this in English.