Seinarukana translation project

Discuss the translation of Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate de.
exerron

Re: Seinarukana translation project

Post by exerron » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Levertand wrote:Sorry if this has been posted before, but what version of Seinarukana will this patch be compatible with?
I'm sure someone mentioned the "special package" version, though I don't know if it's actually different from the "regular edition". (There are only two versions, according to vndb.)

Renkosuke

Post by Renkosuke » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:55 am

From what I know, there is no difference between the packaged and regular version (just that the packaged version included EnA in the package). But right now we're working with the latest patched version. If you don't have the patch and can't download it for some reason, don't worry, it'll probably be included when we release the translation.

tsumaster

Post by tsumaster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Hello everybody!
Sorry if there is any mistake in my writing ... I'm from Brazil, and have no confidence in my English, so I use google ...

I want to congratulate the team for the wonderful job (Eien no Asela's really good, but it would take a few more years until I could play in Japanese ...). I also would like to know if someone here has any tips for those just beginning to learn a new language. Everything else is so happy!

exerron

Post by exerron » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:28 am

tsumaster wrote:Hello everybody!
Sorry if there is any mistake in my writing ... I'm from Brazil, and have no confidence in my English, so I use google ...

I want to congratulate the team for the wonderful job (Eien no Asela's really good, but it would take a few more years until I could play in Japanese ...). I also would like to know if someone here has any tips for those just beginning to learn a new language. Everything else is so happy!
If said new language is Japanese, then I don't really know. (I don't speak and most certainly don't read japanese...maybe understand a bit.)
For me, the most important thing when learning a language is "getting the hang of it". Not that there are any languages that have some universal rule which describes them, but...languages have a feel, a rhthm, or if I'm going to be pompous, a soul. When you can find that, learning that language becomes so much easier. It was like that with english for me. Just try to see, hear, read as much as possible in the given language. (OFF: While this might have sounded complete rubbish, it actually has some reasonal thought behind it: it is known that language is the basis of thinking: you think on your mothertongue. You can notice that especially when you try to think something trough slowly. Therefore language gives you a certain way of thinking. If you can figure that out, then you have the language's "soul".)
Japanese is harder because of the writing, especially kanji. Can't help you with that. Had trouble memorizing the latin alphabet when I was little. :?
If you don't have time, you can try taking a course. That kickstart will probably help a lot on the way, even if it's just a beginners course. Alternatively, you can probably find videos or online help too. Overall, language is very hard when you only have books and easiest when it's all around you. So I would try to aim for the latter.

Renkosuke

Post by Renkosuke » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 pm

tsumaster wrote:umaster » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Hello everybody!

There are several online resources for learning languages, you just have to look around a bit (and get lucky too). For Japanese, I recently found this website: http://lrnj.com/ It's a basic RPG game that teaches you Japanese characters. It claims to be have included all 2000 jouyou kanji (the ones you need to know to be a full-fledged adult in Japan) so it's something to give a look at. I personally haven't tried it though. There's a demo version, a trial version for $5, and a full version for $25. I haven't personally tried it though, so I can't guarantee the quality (looks pretty good though).

Otherwise, I'd recommend as much immersion as possible if you want to learn any language. Listening its music, watching television programs in it (even with subtitles, but try to actively pick up on the words while you read the translations), and especially talking to people every day will really help you get it down.

Of course, I would definitely recommend taking some kind of class for it, especially if you're just starting out.

...this topic has become somewhat off-topic :P

Levertand

Post by Levertand » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:53 am

Yup, hence we will get back to topic :D
Since you are the translator, could you give us a rough estimate as to when it will be completely translated?

Ausdoerrt

Post by Ausdoerrt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Never ask a modder/translator to name a deadline, cause he'll break it anyway :P

One thing I'm just curious about, is there any specific reason why you suddenly stopped working on Chp. 2 and moved on to 4&5? Give us some insight into the process :D

Renkosuke

Post by Renkosuke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 am

Ausdoerrt wrote:Never ask a modder/translator to name a deadline, cause he'll break it anyway :P
I'll have the game done by tomorrow ;)
One thing I'm just curious about, is there any specific reason why you suddenly stopped working on Chp. 2 and moved on to 4&5? Give us some insight into the process :D
Chapter 1 and half of 2 was done by Nighteye. When I joined this project, in my current game (3rd run) I was just finishing chapter 3, so I decided to take it from the start of chapter 4 and translate it while I play. It's easier for me because I like hearing the voices (to help out with possibly sarcastic lines, etc.).

Rest assured, I am working as best/fast as I can, but I also have to concentrate on the massive load of schoolwork I have. If any of you have heard of the "Exam Hell" that Japanese high school students go through in order to get accepted into a university, that's currently what I'm going through right now, except I also have to work on the Japanese language part of that too :)

World Tree

Post by World Tree » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:06 am

Remember no rush or pressure, Renkosuke. ;)

You have priorities that are more important, and that's understandable. I just hope you won't stop, and abandon working on Seinarukana. I don't think most of our hearts can handle another case of a TL disappearing, or dropping out. Really. ;_;

Renkosuke

Post by Renkosuke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 pm

World Tree wrote:Remember no rush or pressure, Renkosuke. ;)

You have priorities that are more important, and that's understandable. I just hope you won't stop, and abandon working on Seinarukana. I don't think most of our hearts can handle another case of a TL disappearing, or dropping out. Really. ;_;
No worries about that! No matter how busy I get, I have no intention of dropping SNK, and every intention of finishing it before the year is out (which is a long time granted, but really not that long). I probably love this game just as much as the rest of you, made perhaps geometrically or even exponentially greater by the fact that I can understand it in its native tongue :D

Not that I'm bragging or anything.
(I'm awesome)