Seinarukana translation project

Discuss the translation of Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate de.
Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Re: Seinarukana translation project

Post by Phlebas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Just in: Renkosuke offered to help with the lagging translation while we wait to hear from NightEye159. Kudos to him and let's hope things work out well.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

Justin iZ Here

Post by Justin iZ Here » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:48 pm

weeeeeee, yes lets hope things work out

World Tree

Post by World Tree » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Great news is seriously great. I do hope Renkosuke's translation style will be similar to NightEye159's. Like most of EnA, I also hope the overall translation won't be of the liberal or localized/Americanized kind.

Anyhow, hooray. Also, prayers for NightEye159's return.

Renkosuke

Post by Renkosuke » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:40 am

Well, I assume Phleb will edit out any redneck hiccups I might make, but I will try to make as satisfactory a translation as possible :X

PS - Send me food

World Tree

Post by World Tree » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:41 am

That's awesome to hear.

Phlebas is cool. So, you're in good hands.

Justin iZ Here

Post by Justin iZ Here » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 am

even if you make a few minor mistakes, i think i can speak for most when i say a translation with a few mistakes is better than no translation at all :lol:

so yeah i wish you luck X3

Megaolix

Post by Megaolix » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:27 pm

Glad to finally see this restarting. Best of luck to you all on this project.

NeltarionDH

Post by NeltarionDH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Lol tamoshimi, no seriously I can't wait for you guys to finish this! Seinarukana is probably the VN I want to play the most :)
Keep up the good work and i hope that we will get to see it before 21 december 2012 :lol:

Ghaleon

Post by Ghaleon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:15 am

Yay, thank you very much for picking up the torch (and thanks to all the other workers including Nighteye for their hard work).

I personally like a little localization myself, not sure why people are so picky about their translations. But I'm happy either way, as long as I can understand it, it's good >=)

exerron

Post by exerron » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:02 pm

This is great news indeed. Thank you, Renkosuke!
Ghaleon wrote:Yay, thank you very much for picking up the torch (and thanks to all the other workers including Nighteye for their hard work).

I personally like a little localization myself, not sure why people are so picky about their translations. But I'm happy either way, as long as I can understand it, it's good >=)
Well, there are several thing that can go wrong with translations, and avoiding all is extremely hard. A few mistakes are completely okay in general, but it's very bothersome if the translator doesn't really understand the story or the deeper message of a work. Official english translations of japanese games or anime tend to have this mistake, coupled with the somewhat understandable notion of "trying to bring it closer to the western audiance", which sometimes yields catastrophic results.

Fan translations usually don't face the latter issue, but translators vary in their understanding(/command) of japanese (and rarely english) and interpreting skill (as in understanding the story and possibly the message and being able to seamlessly integrate it in the translated version, making sure no information is lost or added). As this is very difficult to do, people are usually sceptical about new translators and even editors.

I'm not saying this because I don't trust Renkosuke's skill, but because you asked. :D I'm not too picky about translations either. I'm only bothered when the translation overysimplifies lines, featuers completely inconsistent characters or is completely impossible to understand. None of these, will be a problem with Renkosuke (or were with NightEye) I think.