Seinarukana

Discuss the translation of Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate de.
iamin7ove

Re: Seinarukana

Post by iamin7ove » Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 am

Hmm...just realized one thing...
Wouldnt playing seina on window mode while reading nighteye's script the same as playing in english =o= ?

AQZT

Post by AQZT » Wed May 05, 2010 1:47 am

No, though Nighteye's translation is mostly complete, he skips a few more minor scenes at the beginning and stylistically changes the script a bit to make it seem like a storybook than an RPG

iamin7ove

Post by iamin7ove » Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

Even though there are parts that he got slightly wrong (or overlooked his own mistakes ) ... Im by no way be able to compare to him when it comes to the narration which has no voice =o=...
Meh, i have this half-ass ability of mine =o=....only able to understand partly what they talks but none from what they wrote =o= ...
T_T...

STill, thanks him realy much =o= ... AGTH is much harder to DECIPHER
I think i can get by like this...with the combination of my half-ass listening skill and his almost completed translation

iamin7ove

Post by iamin7ove » Wed May 05, 2010 2:08 am

Hmm...
i have been wondering...
why most translation so lenient ?
Am i the only one translate the lines down to each and every words ?

Btw, Ofc, i know there are place that we need to overlook words so that we understand the meaning of the whole line ...

For example a line from nozomi :
I translate to :
"…Ah, Nozomu-chan!? Are u hurt ? Do you feel bad anywhere ?" (down to every word is '…Ah, Nozomu-chan!? Does your body hurt ? Do you feel bad anywhere ?" but that sounds lame so lets go with "are u hurt" )
While, Nighteye translate to :
“…Ah, Nozomu-chan!? Are you hurt, is anything wrong?”

Mah, i know its very minor but why was there even a need to alter it like that i wonder :\
And the reason it bothers me is because this leniency in translation leads to mistakes a lot (sometimes it changes even the meaning - mah, they still fit the flow so whatever )

AQZT

Post by AQZT » Wed May 05, 2010 2:37 am

iamin7ove wrote:Hmm...
i have been wondering...
why most translation so lenient ?
Am i the only one translate the lines down to each and every words ?

Btw, Ofc, i know there are place that we need to overlook words so that we understand the meaning of the whole line ...

For example a line from nozomi :
I translate to :
"…Ah, Nozomu-chan!? Are u hurt ? Do you feel bad anywhere ?" (down to every word is '…Ah, Nozomu-chan!? Does your body hurt ? Do you feel bad anywhere ?" but that sounds lame so lets go with "are u hurt" )
While, Nighteye translate to :
“…Ah, Nozomu-chan!? Are you hurt, is anything wrong?”

Mah, i know its very minor but why was there even a need to alter it like that i wonder :\
And the reason it bothers me is because this leniency in translation leads to mistakes a lot (sometimes it changes even the meaning - mah, they still fit the flow so whatever )
Remeber that the point of translation is to localize the script for English-speaking audiences, not just translate it.

iamin7ove

Post by iamin7ove » Wed May 05, 2010 2:38 am

"…Ah, Nozomu-chan!? Are u hurt ? Do you feel bad anywhere ?" is not good enough ? for localizing ?

YamiLeto

Post by YamiLeto » Wed May 05, 2010 3:39 am

iamin7ove wrote:"…Ah, Nozomu-chan!? Are u hurt ? Do you feel bad anywhere ?" is not good enough ? for localizing ?
I think the point is most english speakers don't tend to spit out three questions but are more likely to combine them into one that refers to all aspects. Basically making it seem more natural to english speakers

iamin7ove

Post by iamin7ove » Wed May 05, 2010 10:01 am

Hmm...i c
Mah, i still prefer to let characters at least keep their sentence structures though...The author created it like that after all =o
Unless it cant be helped i dont want to alter the works =o=

naast

Post by naast » Wed May 05, 2010 3:38 pm

It has been made that way in japanese, and you most of the time, you can't make a direct (litteral) translation from japanese to english. Translation is more complicated than just taking words from a language and replacing them with words from another language. It takes 3 steps:
  • Reading
  • Understanding
  • Rewriting
Translating means rewriting the meaning of a sentence in another language, and not just roughly replacing words.

Litteral translation is bad, especially from japanese, because sentences won't sound like a natural English (or whatever language you translate into).

The translated text might convey things differently than the original, but still it won't make it a bad translation. Writing in a natural English is better than translating litteraly.

iamin7ove

Post by iamin7ove » Wed May 05, 2010 7:06 pm

but somehow, natural english sounds less emotional =o= and sometimes less interesting
which is something rather fatal in literacy =o=