Story dissection *major spoilers*

Discuss the translation of Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate de.
Tinbad

Re: Story dissection *spoilers*

Post by Tinbad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:43 am

shiirn wrote:
Phlebas wrote:"I must lose my virginity with you in order to open the gate to the Corridors of Time, but I'm prepared to make that sacrifice if you are so willing."
"Whoa, what? Why must you do that?!"
"It's a requirement for us to enter the sanctuary of the swords."
"Eh, what, how can that be, something like that?"
"It's a requirement."
"Hang on, who requires it? The swords? Or is there some gatekeeper who checks?"
"It's required."
"Eh, I don't really get it, that doesn't make any sense to me..."
"I REQUIRE IT, ALL RIGHT!!? JUST SHUT UP AND DO IT OR I'LL NEVER TAKE YOU THERE!!!"
Yeah, when I heard her going on about "eligibility" my first thought was "So a sex scene was there before, I see"

When you've read as many visual novels as I have, hearing someone scam someone else into sex with a half-baked excuse for "THE FEIT OF THE WORLD DEPENDS ON YOUR PANOOS" doesn't even cause a batted eyelash anymore.
One of the reasons why I thought the ero scenes should have been translated. Yeah the story can do without, but there are some scenes that just add to the story.

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:16 am

That was just my interpretation of the events, the actualy dialogue is pretty much same in both versions and the ero wouldn't have added any new knowledge. And you're asking for the impossible anyway ^^.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

Hanekem

Post by Hanekem » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Phlebas wrote:Oh yes, I don't mean to flame her, just poking a bit of fun, all in good humor. I don't dislike her in the least despite finding myself unable to believe a word she says in most situations :D.

Well, she has been looking towards meeting Yuuto for the last millennia... man that woman has issues, not to mention probably a hell of an itch to scratch.
Actually I can understand it to be some sort of sacrifice or part of the ritual for the swords to accept the candidates, but it struck being not the candidate's sacrifice but everybody else.
probably its a way to ensure the poor saps fight the pointless struggle.
Honestly, if they been at a stalemate for eras, somebody is not doing things right...

But I digress, what annoyed me is that nobody called it on her. Anybody here remember Phantasy Star 4? yeah, that's what I am talking about (mind you, I don't recall any other game the hero started asking those questions, but...).
And the sad thing? you know, I hardly used the Eternals in the boss battles. only against Shun... kinda sad, ne? (so, yeah, Tokimi is a serial liar and probably was manipulating everybody like the Order eternals and Oath)

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 pm

YamiLeto wrote: Though I'm a little curious about the memory loss thing about a few other facts. For one in Lesteena's path she forgets you again when you leave the world and so when you come back she doesn't know who you are....I do believe that after first meeting at the shrine Yuuto never forgot Tokimi (until after desire breaks and that's temporary and on purpose). Sooooo here's my question...Why does Lesteena forget when he leaves the world while Yuuto remembers Tokimi after being thrown to a different world?

Forgot to comment on this, it's not that he's forgotten again, more like they only met for a short time after he was forgotten in the first place, and since then several years have passed until they meet again (which is an easy bit to miss I guess). But supposing that Lesteena's love was genuine, Yuuto is certain that on another chance meeting they will be drawn together again. Despite the shorntess of her route, I rather liked her ending, it was different from the others and Yuuto has a great outlook in it, takes some guts to make that decision. +This is actually the one ending where you in fact get to theoretically spend time with the other spirits again too :). And either way his respect for Lesteena is so great he wants to watch over the world she creates even at the cost of personal pain.

YamiLeto

Post by YamiLeto » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Phlebas wrote:
YamiLeto wrote: Though I'm a little curious about the memory loss thing about a few other facts. For one in Lesteena's path she forgets you again when you leave the world and so when you come back she doesn't know who you are....I do believe that after first meeting at the shrine Yuuto never forgot Tokimi (until after desire breaks and that's temporary and on purpose). Sooooo here's my question...Why does Lesteena forget when he leaves the world while Yuuto remembers Tokimi after being thrown to a different world?

Forgot to comment on this, it's not that he's forgotten again, more like they only met for a short time after he was forgotten in the first place, and since then several years have passed until they meet again (which is an easy bit to miss I guess). But supposing that Lesteena's love was genuine, Yuuto is certain that on another chance meeting they will be drawn together again. Despite the shorntess of her route, I rather liked her ending, it was different from the others and Yuuto has a great outlook in it, takes some guts to make that decision. +This is actually the one ending where you in fact get to theoretically spend time with the other spirits again too :). And either way his respect for Lesteena is so great he wants to watch over the world she creates even at the cost of personal pain.
Maybe so but I gotta admit I'm a bit on the side of "aww man poor unlucky fool having to stick with a mortal woman." It sure takes guts to go back but I still say he's a bit of an idiot in that path since you KNOW he's gonna be hurting inside for all of eternity afterwards. Though I gotta admit Aselia's path so far is my favorite. Not only having one of the best heroines with your for eternity but also having a daughter and using her to make fun of Tokimi xD. "Tokimi Obaa-chan!"

Hanekem

Re: Story dissection *major spoilers*

Post by Hanekem » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

I agree with Yamileto, though the only thing I regret about that ending is not seeing Tokimi's reaction.

You know, its amazing somebody gets to be as old as her and yet remain mentally a teen. :mrgreen:

shiirn

Post by shiirn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Hanekem wrote: its amazing somebody gets to be as old as her and yet remain mentally a teen
You know, I've seen so many examples of this that I've got to make a comment on it:

There's huge theories as far as mental age that the "Mind is the plaything of the body" as such that the body produces pheremones BLAH BLAH BLAH

Basically, a huge theory is that the age of your body will influence the age of your mind. As such, Eternals are stuck at their respective ages... Tokimi's stuck in her late teens, but is also old enough (read:motherly) to cut loose and play with small children, young enough to be embarassed by the fact.

Tourin has the body of a not-even-adolescent, and has a huge playfulness and disregard for any negative aspects of her actions. FOR THE LULZ

This pops in alot of other stories that I've read regarding age changes and immortality. (Such as Negima's age pills)

It doesn't add alot to the story, but it's an interesting thing to think over.
PM me for a table of CE addresses for all the spirits in Eien no Aselia. If you don't know what I mean, just be on your way...

Hanekem

Post by Hanekem » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 am

You know I was thinking back to the Aselia path and kept wondering, their daughter's eternity blade...

Makes you wonder how difficult labor was, ne?

Still, I am bitter about Desire, he deserved better, not to mention that he managed to sever both Void and Karma (reading the comments Reliance made makes me think he was far from an ordinary rank four).
Any sequels to the game? if so, that fragment Yuuto gave to his sister have to have a part in it. like I said that thing feels too much like a Chekhov's gun for it to be nothing. I mean, unusual abilities and even left a shard behind after being destroyed -something Tokimi who, yeah, lies but really didn't have any reason to in this instance, admitted was very unusual.

Not sure why I got so hung up on that point, but its been itching since my first playthough.

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 am

Since this is a spoiler thread... for the fragment, play Tokimi route :D. It has an awesome twist.

Tinbad

Post by Tinbad » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:26 am

Hanekem wrote:You know I was thinking back to the Aselia path and kept wondering, their daughter's eternity blade...

Makes you wonder how difficult labor was, ne?
Probably didn't give birth with the sword. I kind of like to believe it was born from the unity between 'Wisdom' and 'Eternity'.