Battle Tips

Discuss the translation of Eien no Aselia - Kono Daichi no Hate de.
YamiLeto

Battle Tips

Post by YamiLeto » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:07 am

Figured it'd be great to have a battle/mission tips thread so we could voice best ways to win a battle.

First remember elemental alignments Blue>Red>Green>Black

Second remember that a skills power and uses are THE most important aspect of battle. Do not underestimate an enemy cause they're low level (yes I have seen some of my higher levels take quite some damage from 10 levels lower enemies)

Third keep an eye on skill progression when training. Many skills meet requirements to use at full force (mind requirements obviously). Also important to know what enemy a skill will target since some attack skills even ignore a defender and go straight to another attacker or supporter.

Fourth do not underestimate the ability of supporters battles are won or lost by the supporter. A good ether sink keeping enemies from acting or an ice banishment to stop spells can easily save a party.

Fifth don't worry about ranking unless you know it won't screw you over to rush. The bonus mana and ether are not typically worth it (at least true for starting level not sure about hard mode and such yet). If you need mana too badly wait enough turns and pay attention to rumors of dragons and defeat them for the mana.

Sixth never assume a fight will be over after defeating one enemy. The game has a habit of getting under your skin by throwing multiple enemies at you.

Well that's my six cents for now on the topic if I notice anymore though I'll post more.

Meowminator

Re: Battle Tips

Post by Meowminator » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:35 am

Hmm by elemental alignments, you mean, Blue does more damage against all the other elemental enemies while red does more damage against every other element enemy except blue or such?
Or do you just mean, blue spells are stronger than red ones, and the weakest are the black ones.

.....Or maybe something basic, i dunno.

Also im not sure if this is pointed out in the tutorial battles or not, but its surely isnt, in the skill descriptions. Blue support skills, cannot be banished (eg. ether sink cannot be banished).

Also as YamiLeto stated, it is important to note which position the skill attacks. If the skill says "Any (Enemy)" means it will attack the defender>supporter>attacker in that order, assuming all three are present, if one of them is not it will skip to the next position and attack that.

As for skills that aim for specific postions such as "Att(Enemy)" or "Def(Ally)" only activate when that specific position is present and alive in the battle, when its time for that skill to activate.

Volandum

Post by Volandum » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:59 am

I don't understand the elemental alignments.

I've not had any trouble banishing Ether Sink, have you been using too low a level of Ice Banish?

Explode is kind of confusing because it aims for the Attacker but then attacks the Defender and Supporter when the Attacker is gone. Uruka has a move that attacks the supporter first, which also redirects.

Meowminator

Post by Meowminator » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Checked.
Explode does indeed redirect.

However i am using ether sink 1(level 4 skill) with aselia and the enemy uses ice banisher II( can banish upto lvl 5). and it is not able to banish o.o. Checked it twice....

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:47 pm

Aselia's Ether Sink I is an anti-blue skill, cannot be banished.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

Volandum

Post by Volandum » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Ah okay, I got confused between player Ether Sinks, which are Divine Magic, and enemy Ether Sinks.

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Post by Phlebas » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Every char has their slightly different variants of same basic skills, if you look closely you'll notice differences in all your blue spirits' sinks.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

Fhoenix

Post by Fhoenix » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Finishing missions fast is all about conserving skills. Do not use a strong skill if you can finish an enemy with a weaker one. The same goes for blocking and banishing, although at a much lesser degree. Substitute Yuuto for Aselia if they both can kill the same amount of units (one), use Aselia if she can can kill more than one unit withing one turn. Kill defenders with sub spirits then kill supporter and attacker with Aselia.

SnowDream

Post by SnowDream » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Heavenly sword I (from Selia) is marked at 1000 damage, but I have seen it do 2500+ in one hit to defenders (my experience so far is that it kill all units I tried it against). Is the skill more of an one-hit-KO skill or am I missing something?

Volandum

Post by Volandum » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:12 pm

It has blue element, so you get bonus elemental damage.