Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Discuss the Tears to Tiara translation.
Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby Phlebas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:43 am

The most important fact in that respect I suppose is that all classes get all their skills by level 50, so if you want to multiskill you just need to roll them to 50 and you can change jobs. Can't help with more specifics at this time.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

Mauzel
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby Mauzel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:31 pm

You generally get the combo skills for all the class (except the mage classes) at lvl 30
skills up to lvl 50 is more like the high mp skills and such, for the low mp classes.
Here is a list of what I consider key skills that may interest a early proficient character's use.

Male
Warrior: (none that I really liked, basic skills are insult, etc.)
Knight: (Heal around L5, Feelgood heal around L20)
Druid: (Knight+Magician, same for almost all)
Magician: (Basic spell at L1, by L20 get all basic + 1 40mp Spell. By L30 get all basic, all intermediate, and 1 100MP spell)
Hunter: (L20 Sharpshooter, Survival, Nature's Blessing <- the only useful one is Nature's Blessing, a decent self-heal.)
Minstrel: (Too many skills, all songs. Good ones come at around L30, the Sonata and the Nocturne... regenerate hp and the other regenerate mp)

Female
Fencer: (Physical/Magical Predictions are nice, at around L10. Go-no-sen...counter atk... but COSTs 50 MP... Abandonment is also nice, raise evasion, good for other classes)
Paladin: (L20, get basic and intermediate attribute based spell, by around L30 get a really nice Blessed drop, AOE heal)
Seer: (Paladin+Priestess)
Priestess: (Basic heal, intermediate heal by L20. Advanced heal by L30, Stardust 150MP AOE spell at around L30)
Archer: (Concentrate, Full speed <2x speed>, Rapid fire <half cooldown> by L20... MUCH BETTER THAN THE HUNTER COUNTERPART...)
Musician: (female Minstrel)


In my opinion, if it is too difficult to get to L50 to get all skills (which is quite difficult before finishing the game, and post-game mercs is not something you are aiming for) L20 is generally a surefire change lvl if you only need the basic skills, or L30 if you need the combos or the 1 100MP spell/150MP spell (Most combos is only important for your final "keeper" class, since it will get the combo nonetheless at L30).

DFT
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby DFT » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:36 am

This game isn't really hard, not even on impossible. But I've been thinking about some crazy strategies in case it gets more tough later.

The Warp spell.
This strategy sacrifices 1 character (Llyr) but could be useful if you meet a REALLY powerful boss and he is protected by many creatures.
First move Llyr slightly away from your party.
Pick all your mages, aim all your heavy nuclear spells at Llyr.
2 seconds before the mages fire the spells, use Llyr's Warp spell and switch place with the boss of the level. You must time this right of course.
Llyr will probably die alone against the mob, but at least you get a 7 vs. 1 chance against the boss and he'll be weakened by the initial mage spells.
Optional: Buff Llyr beforehand with physical shield and magical shield, etc. so she can damage the creatures nearby as much as possible before she (maybe) dies.

Anyone else have other cheesy tricks?

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby Phlebas » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:00 am

Well I have one cheesy protip if someone's finding the battles before first free map hard on impossible difficulty (especially the 2nd dock map can be quite hard if your levels are lacking).
In the first battle, kill the mobs normally until you have one left - leave the highest level melee soldier last. Then switch both Ogam and Riannon to healing, and stop one of your warriors and have the other go 1on1 against the remaining mob. Now, just... heal the enemy as well (yeah, there's no problem casting friendly spells on enemies). You can grind exp off the mob until lvl ~5 easily, then swap the melee, healers naturally get exp from healing but if it's too slow you can have them go 1on1 in the end as well, they will survive when they already have a few levels under their belt, if you're attacking and not casting (which makes you more vulnerable).
Finish 1st map with everyone at lvl ~5, profit. You can repeat this in the first part of the dock map against the last soldier remaining as well (from what I recall he's higher lvl than the undead boss in catacomb so it's more profitable), but this should really do the trick already.
This is what I did first time I was playing when I still thought impossible would be much harder.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

Mauzel
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby Mauzel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:56 pm

DFT wrote:This game isn't really hard, not even on impossible. But I've been thinking about some crazy strategies in case it gets more tough later.

The Warp spell.
This strategy sacrifices 1 character (Llyr) but could be useful if you meet a REALLY powerful boss and he is protected by many creatures.
First move Llyr slightly away from your party.
Pick all your mages, aim all your heavy nuclear spells at Llyr.
2 seconds before the mages fire the spells, use Llyr's Warp spell and switch place with the boss of the level. You must time this right of course.
Llyr will probably die alone against the mob, but at least you get a 7 vs. 1 chance against the boss and he'll be weakened by the initial mage spells.
Optional: Buff Llyr beforehand with physical shield and magical shield, etc. so she can damage the creatures nearby as much as possible before she (maybe) dies.

Anyone else have other cheesy tricks?


that was exactly what those annoying mageskulls did to me in the "return to Erin temple" battle... Arawn got swapped by the yellow skull across all three mobs and got koed... I had to use Ogam to range atk them to make sure I didnt get instant KOs...XD

On a side note, there is quite a easy way to train weaker characters quite fast... Any skill, other than heal, and any item provides the character with experience porportional to the difference in lvl... Meaning you can just focus on training 1 character, and when a lvl gap develops, train by getting other characters to use item/skill on the highest lvled character.
This can also be a nice method to train healers early on when they dont have much MP to spare with the healing.

Phlebas wrote:Well I have one cheesy protip if someone's finding the battles before first free map hard on impossible difficulty (especially the 2nd dock map can be quite hard if your levels are lacking).
In the first battle, kill the mobs normally until you have one left - leave the highest level melee soldier last. Then switch both Ogam and Riannon to healing, and stop one of your warriors and have the other go 1on1 against the remaining mob. Now, just... heal the enemy as well (yeah, there's no problem casting friendly spells on enemies). You can grind exp off the mob until lvl ~5 easily, then swap the melee, healers naturally get exp from healing but if it's too slow you can have them go 1on1 in the end as well, they will survive when they already have a few levels under their belt, if you're attacking and not casting (which makes you more vulnerable).
Finish 1st map with everyone at lvl ~5, profit. You can repeat this in the first part of the dock map against the last soldier remaining as well (from what I recall he's higher lvl than the undead boss in catacomb so it's more profitable), but this should really do the trick already.
This is what I did first time I was playing when I still thought impossible would be much harder.


Along the line of healer training, if you have a high enough def, it is possible to do a heal-self method to train... By pitching your healer against a character that is weak on the attack, you can potentially heal self while bashing away with a staff (200 wpn cooldown is very nice for experience...) and its fun that it takes over 20 hits sometimes to kill the monster... But keep in mind that they should not be mobbed (Just as long as its the last monster on the map, and you should be fine), since that will literally end up killing your healer (Face it, healers are awful in mob control early on...;p). Generally the wolves are good opponents for healers (relatively lower attack), and if your lucky enough, a tree (whose magic are almost neglegible dmg on a healer with high RGS). Keep in mind that each attack by the monster should not do more than a quarter of your hp bar regularily or more than a half of your hp bar when casting, if you wish to have a safe and sound training session (bring lots of mp pots for these once you have shop access, and in the stage before the dock, you can just switch up Ogam and Riannon - or have one stand as an supporting healer for emergencies)... It is a good way to bring up a relatively equal level, especially in early stages of impossible where your main attackers gets a very high lvl gap to your supporting characters.

DFT
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby DFT » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Mauzel wrote:that was exactly what those annoying mageskulls did to me in the "return to Erin temple" battle... Arawn got swapped by the yellow skull across all three mobs and got koed... I had to use Ogam to range atk them to make sure I didnt get instant KOs...XD

Wow, that's a surprise that the enemy would actually use a tactic like that. There is a counter for this though: (I'm just thinking it up theoretically, I haven't seen if this actually works in practice)
While the enemy starts casting his Warp, have all your mages buff up Llyr with defensive spells.
After the enemy Warps Arawn away, Immediately warp Awarn back with Llyr.
And Immediately after, Warp Llyr back to the party again but this time switch place with the enemy that originally warped Arawn.

We should be back to square 1. Although I imagine all the ruckus just activated a boat load of enemies. But on the other side you could try to "almost kill" the enemy before warping him away with Llyr, don't know if this ultimately helps since they probably have heal spells.

Looking forward to that level :mrgreen:



EDIT: Just realised this will be impossible if the enemy has unlimited range on his Warp and is located far away....

Damn...If only Llyr had unlimited Warp range, She would be the ultimate Boss/Mage/Healer sniper and beyond haaaaxx

Mauzel
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby Mauzel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:08 pm

DFT wrote:
Mauzel wrote:that was exactly what those annoying mageskulls did to me in the "return to Erin temple" battle... Arawn got swapped by the yellow skull across all three mobs and got koed... I had to use Ogam to range atk them to make sure I didnt get instant KOs...XD

Wow, that's a surprise that the enemy would actually use a tactic like that. There is a counter for this though: (I'm just thinking it up theoretically, I haven't seen if this actually works in practice)
While the enemy starts casting his Warp, have all your mages buff up Llyr with defensive spells.
After the enemy Warps Arawn away, Immediately warp Awarn back with Llyr.
And Immediately after, Warp Llyr back to the party again but this time switch place with the enemy that originally warped Arawn.

We should be back to square 1. Although I imagine all the ruckus just activated a boat load of enemies. But on the other side you could try to "almost kill" the enemy before warping him away with Llyr, don't know if this ultimately helps since they probably have heal spells.

Looking forward to that level :mrgreen:



EDIT: Just realised this will be impossible if the enemy has unlimited range on his Warp and is located far away....

Damn...If only Llyr had unlimited Warp range, She would be the ultimate Boss/Mage/Healer sniper and beyond haaaaxx


Just for fun, I reloaded the level from an earlier save just to test out your theory... and, it doesnt really help. Llyr's cast speed can't compare with the skulls, which still became an instant ko... and a buffed Llyr's defense still is weak in comparison to Arawn, she gets toasted instead...;p
Still need the old "kill from afar before casting starts" to keep everyone alive.

DFT
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby DFT » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 am

Mauzel wrote:Just for fun, I reloaded the level from an earlier save just to test out your theory... and, it doesnt really help. Llyr's cast speed can't compare with the skulls, which still became an instant ko... and a buffed Llyr's defense still is weak in comparison to Arawn, she gets toasted instead...;p
Still need the old "kill from afar before casting starts" to keep everyone alive.

With the short range imposed on Llyr's Warp (I realised this late), it surprises me you managed to do that...Makes me wonder how that level is built.



In any case I found out a possibly new tactic for Llyr's Warp spell: Anti meelee bosses.
Image
And all while this happens, the boss is continually bombarded by spells and arrows from the party.

Mauzel
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby Mauzel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:23 am

DFT wrote:
Mauzel wrote:Just for fun, I reloaded the level from an earlier save just to test out your theory... and, it doesnt really help. Llyr's cast speed can't compare with the skulls, which still became an instant ko... and a buffed Llyr's defense still is weak in comparison to Arawn, she gets toasted instead...;p
Still need the old "kill from afar before casting starts" to keep everyone alive.

With the short range imposed on Llyr's Warp (I realised this late), it surprises me you managed to do that...Makes me wonder how that level is built.



In any case I found out a possibly new tactic for Llyr's Warp spell: Anti meelee bosses.
Image
And all while this happens, the boss is continually bombarded by spells and arrows from the party.


Casting range is unaffected once it starts casting... Llyr's warp is no exception... the moment the skulls start casting, I got my Llyr to start casting... Probably need demon bracelet to beat the cast of the skulls.

acucar11
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:11 am

Re: Gameplay FAQ/Tips

Postby acucar11 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:12 am

Doesn't this game have 'the auto-read feature'?

If yes, tell me how, please. And thanks for translating this, btw <3

btw:
auto-read != skip


Return to “Tears to Tiara”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron