Tears to Tiara anime adaptation (spoilers ahoy)

Discuss the Tears to Tiara translation.
Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Tears to Tiara anime adaptation (spoilers ahoy)

Postby Phlebas » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:19 pm

Figured I'd post my first impressions after watching 1st ep of the anime (unsubbed, will probably check subs later to see what kind of funny conventions people have ended up with -Dwrc anyone?).

Quality seems ok apart from all the characters seeming somehow bland (maybe it's the fault of those ps3 designs which I oh so hate <.<) and voice actors feel kinda unexcited too (does Dwrc have a new VA or did the directors tell him to take a chill pill? He never sounds nearly as menaching as in the game). They've changed the details about how things played out quite a bit in the beginning, but well it's not horribly bad on first glance at least <.<. Arthur seems to be getting more screentime if first episode was anything to go by, which I'm cool with.
I dunno if it really had anything in 1st ep to captivate anyone who doesn't know the story already though, it was kinda dark and gloomy all the time, coupled with bland-looking and -sounding characters. Let's see where it goes from here, at least there wasn't a massive "quality" fail in first episode already, gotta be happy for what you can I suppose.
Image Napolitan.... Rush!!

teiglin

Re: Tears to Tiara anime adaptation

Postby teiglin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 pm

So I finally got around to watching the first ep and thought I'd see what people here thought of it. I'm surprised more people haven't commented. O_o

I strongly agree on the character designs; I actually took a look at the comparison images someone posted in a thread here just to remind myself how much they suck. Some in the anime are even watered down compared to their also-hideous PS3 counterparts, though I guess that's to be expected for animation.

I didn't mind most of the story changes. I think they did fine at getting the point across, though I hope they spend some time on Riannon's oracle abilities. The brief mention that Drwc makes of them hardly does justice to her character, as I think one of the (relatively few) things that actually makes her interesting is how she interacts with her fate/destiny.

I'll probably watch at least a few more eps to see how Arawn feels in anime form, but I really don't have high hopes. :|

Mkilbride

Re: Tears to Tiara anime adaptation

Postby Mkilbride » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Finally a place to post my thoughts.

I agree, when I first saw the characters, I went "Wait, wha...?" when I saw the designs. Then I remembered the PS3 designs. So I guess they decided for the anime, they needed to remove anything that didn't make them look like generic characters. "Let us not use the actually unique and difference designs of the original, but the cheesy and generic ones of the PS3 version)

Overall, the first episode's intro was still pretty good, but I felt some parts were like "Why did they change that? It kinda makes the feeling of the scene into something different"

Overall, it feels like the Utware adaption they did previously, it's close, but it's NOT right on the money. It's better than say the the Tsukihime anime adaption(Which doesn't exist as you all know...:P), as they seem to have actually tried. I just watched Episode 02, and some scenes are ok, but why did they change Arawns dismemberment of Dwrc? I thought that would look insanely badass, a guy being shredded into pieces with a single hand /claw thing. Also the Riannon scenes lost alot of emotion in the transfer, I guess.

Overall, I'll watch until Episode 5 and decide if I should continue or not...so far it has potential, as the animation quality seems decent, but some scenes have been changed or removed in a way that is questionable. I so wanted to see the scene where Arawn is still dreaming and sees Arthurs great-grandpa(his name eludes me right now), talking about Arawn waking up, him having a dream, and that his descendant was waiting.

One angry point I really can't get over is the INTRO. It freaking spoils A SHITLOAD of stuff, so for people who haven't read the novel and are watching the anime, alot of things can be easily assembled from that Intro video, and goodbye to like 25% of the surprises.

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Re: Tears to Tiara anime adaptation (spoilers ahoy)

Postby Phlebas » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Yeah so far they're making a pretty good job of diluting all the more powerful scenes. I was also perplexed by lack of claw action in ep2, that was just a lame and unnecessary change. Also, Ogam is imo so far the first voice actor who doesn't sound totally laconic (but urgh at his looks too).

Grimoire

Postby Grimoire » Fri May 01, 2009 12:17 am

An anime is now out for this?! Must watch! Hmm.. I don't really recognize any of the groups that I have found doing it. Though I think I may have heard of at least one in passing. Not expecting much from this, but hopefully it can be at least slightly enjoyable.

Phlebas
Dakkodango Staff

Postby Phlebas » Fri May 01, 2009 7:24 am

Just saw episodes 3 and 4.
I was already a bit tired of the series after first 2 episodes but fortunately it gets better once they finally ditch that long, long night imo. 3rd ep was fairly enjoyable already, and even the characters' looks don't really bother me anymore when the script starts rolling. Hasn't been any obvious 'quality' failures. Where's Morgan's drunk scene in ep4 tho :(? I'm starting to get my hopes up that it may manage a decent presentation of the story in the end.

Mauzel

Postby Mauzel » Sat May 09, 2009 8:06 pm

They HAAAD to base it off the *all-aged* version... I want to cry...

Unrequited

Postby Unrequited » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:11 am

I was disappointed with Rathty's design especially. Ogam was kinda bad imo too.

They're certainly mitigating the harem part of the story. It seems Octavia's a lesbian even.

What annoys me the most is that they're giving Arthur more and more screentime. I didn't like like him in the game and I don't like him now. They need more Arawn.

omnigear_seibzehn

Postby omnigear_seibzehn » Wed May 26, 2010 8:04 pm

A slight necro..maybe

Anyway, Ithought the anime was actually better than the VN. Which is pretty rare for VN->anime adaptations. I'm pleased they used the superior Ermin too. :mrgreen:

Return to “Tears to Tiara”